Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I vs. Me: A Lesson For the Kids

Last week, while writing the caption for a photo I included in my post, it occurred to me that there would be readers who question my use of "me" versus "I." Our elementary school teachers oversimplified the rule for our developing little brains: Always put yourself last and use I when referring to yourself with another person.  Not necessarily so, scholars.  I find myself explaining this rule about once a month, when asked to do so (Okay - mostly when asked).  Because it is difficult to showcase my editing skills, an occasional lesson in grammar and usage might be a way to demonstrate my competency.  Today is your first lesson, kids.

Image from Google Images
 
Simply stated, to chose between using I or me, eliminate the other person(s):

Would you like to go to Taco Bus with Darby and I?
No, thank you.  I would rather spend my time learning grammar with Robin.

Would you like to go to Taco Bus with Darby and me?
Why, yes!  I enjoy spending time with people who are well-spoken.

Darby and me are [am] going to the flea market after we eat.
Enjoy yourself.  I am going to have a blast learning about subject/verb agreement.

Darby and I are [am] going to the flea market after we eat.
Count me in!  I love finding a good bargain!


The same rule applies when referring to yourself with multiple people, such as in my caption:

Carrie Kukuda, Kelly Simms, Me, and Deb Milburn at Miles for Moffitt.

If I said (of a solo picture) "I at Miles for Moffitt," I would sound like a crazy person, so in this case, "me" is the correct pronoun.


So there it is, whether you wanted to know it or not.  Go forth and use it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment