Saturday, October 12, 2013

Get Thee To the Gallows: Hanged vs. Hung

I love all things grammar.  I listen to grammar podcasts, read grammar blogs, and take online grammar tests just for fun.  So when friends ask me grammar-related questions, it's my time to shine. This week's topic was inspired by just such an occasion.

While enjoying appetizers and cocktails several weeks ago, my partner-in-many-crimes, Shea (at www.survivinglifeslessons.blogspot.com), asked about hanged verses hung. She was always told that the past-tense of hang is hung, yet she recalled hearing people use hanged instead.  I wrote a sentence or two for my blog, clicked save, and then promptly forgot to publish my post. 

This week in my Folklore class, I told my students the myth of Arachne and Athena (http://majorolympians.com/athena.html).  When I got to the part of the story where "Arachne was filled with such shame, she ran to the nearest tree and hanged herself," two or three students raised their hands.  "Don't you mean hung, Ms. Stonaker?"  No kids, I do not.  The English language is full of little irregularities, but this one is a cinch to explain. 

Hung is the past-tense for hang in every case EXCEPT when referring to death by hanging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment